Monday, June 18, 2012

Inspired in the studio

San Francisco is this incredible community; full of unique individuals with an insurmountable amounts of talent and creativity. While walking the city streets I dream and wonder what each individuals personal story is- you know, the events that brought them to San Francisco, what they do for fun, what their favorite restaurant is... More importantly, what makes them tick and what talents do they hold.

Over the weekend, I had the incredible opportunity to spend 14 hours with 6 additional photographers. To my amazement, not one of them credited photography for their paycheck. They each had some other passion or means to pay the bills. However, each of them spoke about photography as though it was their life blood.

During our time at Rayko Photo Center, we spent a few initial hours discussing our experience with portraiture photography, our goals, a little bit about our families, how we pay the bills and a few knock knock jokes here and there. However, most of our time was spent with free reign to a studio.

Let me paint you the picture- turn on the CW at 7pm on Wednesday's and you'll see an episode of America's Next Top Model- BAM- that is the set I was working on. Well, sort of. 15 foot ceilings, access to a variety of back drops, soft boxes, reflectors, light meters, strobes, pandora, fans, and an abundance of creativity surrounded me. It was a photographers dream- especially one who does not generally have access to such equipment.

We spent hours tweaking lights, and learning the traditional studio settings- rembrant, core, side and butterfly lightning. All questions and ideas were welcome. No idea was too big or turned down.


 Uniquely enough, outside of the workshop instructor- I was the only woman in the class. This in turn gave me several opportunities to practice what I in turn ask my family, friends and clients to do--- be comfortable in front of the lens. Although, part of me loved every minute of it, it certainly was a challenge. It's probably every young girls dream to be on set with photographers, the wind of a fan blowing through your hair, five assistants telling you that you're beautiful while holding reflectors to ensure that little speaks of light are present in your eyes- all while a director and photographer attempt to capture a unique image. So, yes, while it was awkward- it was fun as well. 


Check out some of the images they got:








After my fifteen minutes of fame as a professional model, I decided it was my turn to get back to the comfortable side of the lens. We cranked up some James Brown (which reminded of my father in law- honestly, who doesn't like James Brown?) and had all five of the other photographers get infront of my glass. 

Here is a little 'behind the scenes' during a lighting check. (CRAZY FUN!) Honestly, even preparing for this mini shoot was a blast. 
They do not appear as though they are having a great time. Let's change it up a bit. With music blaring, free reign in posing and lighting, I attempted to create a fun environment with care free fun photographs- as many of you know, I live to photograph children- small and big kids alike. I had a blast- and cannot thank them enough for allowing me to capture their inner child. :) Enjoy! 


 Boy band pose 

 Air Guitar 




Please remember to check out my website: www.sunnysideupphoto.com and feel free to ask any questions. Have a great week! :) 

-Renee 


No comments:

Post a Comment