Thursday, June 7, 2012

Dreams and Alcatraz- quite the mix :)


Recently, I have been faced with some 'big kid' decisions-  life moves, career changes, old ideas with new reasoning. All of these things my 18 year old brain would have been scared to death to know that even at the age of 26, I am still quite lost when debating future life plans. YIKES! Being a grown up is hard. :)

However- through this crazy journey, I have accepted that I love photography. I love capturing still images that are as powerful as a time machine. I want to share little moments. I want to remember every trip, every tear, every birthday, every hair cut...simply stated- I want to remember it all!

So, I'll never be sure if my dreams are too ambitious, or if I'll ever truly 'make it'. I guess at the very least, I'll know I was never too afraid to try. I suppose all of this may be the 18 year old brain talking again- however, she steered me this far..and I think I've turned out alright. :)

I truly hope you are brave enough to follow your dreams. I'd really love to hearing about other 'dream chasers' or 'crazy thinkers'. Ya know, anything that defies most logic and takes a little bit of courage- anything that really just kind of scared the crap out of you. Those are the stories and people who inspire me.

So- cheers to crazy big dreams. :)

p.s. while debating your next big move- take a glimpse at my most recent trip to Alcatraz. It was a beautiful sunny day- which was fantastic for our excursion- however, terrible for lighting. :) So, I went ahead and experimented with black and white images. Please be sure to ask any questions regarding any or all of the images. Alcatraz is truly an amazing place to visit and learn about. Enjoy! (please remember all images are personal)


Alcatraz island is just 1.1 miles from San Francisco's bay. 



A view of an old school house from the years that Alcatraz prison was in operation. Many families and children lived on the island with their fathers- who were prison guards. 

A view of the old social hall from the small community that lived and worked on the island.


Another view of the social hall.

Inside the cafeteria in Alcatraz- thought to be one of the dangerous places within the prison- as three times a day every general population inmate would gather to eat. All armed with utensils- which could be used as weapons- but never were.
                                    Inside the bars is the kitchen where the food was prepared.
A view of an empty general population cell.

A home made bar spacer made by the inmates- which was used in an escape attempt and murder of prison guards in the Battle of Alcatraz.

Solitary confinement. During the tour I learned that an inmate in solitary confinement had a lose button- as to which he tore off and would throw in the air- then crawl around in the dark small cell searching for the button. Once the button was found he would throw it and repeat his search. A game he played for days on end.

A view of a furnished general population cell.

p.s. lets call this days: 28-37. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment