Friday, May 4, 2012

Day 10: capture


You know that mixed emotion: where you feel some hours stand still, while the days go by quickly? I am not sure I understand the equation- yet; I suppose it is all relative to perspective. How you perceive such hours, verses how to see days as a whole; either way, at times it leaves me conflicted.

With things rushing through my brain a million miles a minute- I sit here and attempt to think about how I will make this blog entry just shy of the brilliance of Carrie Bradshaw. However, my brain is filled with a thousand questions: a few ‘what if?’, ‘how long?’, why did that happen’?, ‘how did I get so lucky?’…and the list goes on.  Leaving me to believe that the hours, in which such energy is spent pondering these hypotheticals, appears to be long and unforgiving. Sitting at this desk this morning, was getting me nowhere. Quickly, I turn over and think- ‘how is it Friday already?’

See what I mean- a crazy equation. Never the less- it is how I operate at times.  Really, it is just the way life is. A million things fluttering through your mind, with no objective answer in sight; the simply amazing, yet confusing journey we call life.

Now, I try to spend my time embracing the ride, ya know, the more smiles then tears technique. However, from time to time, you just need to take a few of those long unforgiving hours and allow yourself to think- debrief, unwind and give yourself permission to muster through all 100,000 questions.

So- I went to enjoy one of my bay area simple pleasures. The ocean.

Beautiful. Peaceful. Relaxing. Refreshing.  Joyful. Here is doesn’t matter if the hours seem long, or if the days seem short. Here, all that is present is a gust of wind, the crash of waves, children laughing, dogs barking, the simple smiles of strangers passing, and a friendly hello. Today was no different.

Well, I guess today was a little different. Today I brought my camera, an incredible machine that gives me the tools to remember something forever. A way to capture one of my saving graces that will forever hold a small piece of my heart; a symbol of my journey here in the bay area.

Without even knowing it at the time- that was my challenge: to capture a memory. To ensure that I will always remember that ‘wow’ feeling I am consumed with as we are crossing over the bend at Highway 1 heading into Pacifica. The way the air always seemed to be a little cooler, and the people a little friendlier. The way my dog ran up and down the familiar trail and always seemed to find a crab leg or children’s toy, the simple joy of embracing the incredible beauty of the Pacific Ocean.

In reality, that is the reason I love photography. Memories; the size having no significance, all that matters is that you remember.   To me, photography is a time machine that transports you to another place. An art form that will never expire and will never be without notice.

Pretty powerful- eh?

Here are a few images of my time today in Pacifica with my darling dog Putzi. Enjoy.

Until tomorrow…Cheers.







Please note that all images are personal. Please feel free to e-mail me (Renee) at sunnysideupphoto@gmail.com with any questions/comments. Thanks- have a great Friday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment